Expert Advice & News

Carbon Monoxide

When a carbon-monoxide alarm goes off and stops, it is safest to take precautions by opening windows for ventilation, turn off the gas at the emergency control valve, and remove everyone from the house. Check occupants for signs of carbon-monoxide poisoning. Symptoms include headaches, dizziness, nausea and vomiting. Contact 999 for emergency assistance if these symptoms are present. Remain out of the house until professionals determine that it is safe to re-enter.

A carbon-monoxide alarm must never be ignored, once it makes a sound, contact the gas emergency provider on 0800-111-999. Because carbon-monoxide gas is odorless and colorless, ventilation and leaving the building are the best steps to take after hearing the alarm.

Once your property has been made safe by the gas emergency provider, you should then have your gas appliances checked by a Gas Safe Registered engineer before they are turned back on again.